Should fandoms be political? (Yes)
Everything you consume is political; 100%! _It cannot be avoided_ and, really, that point shouldn’t be avoided _anyway_! Why then do people insist that the fandoms and media that they participate in be apolitical? This week, we’ve definitely got things to say!
In particular, we talk about:
* How media normalizes certain behaviours and ideas, and makes them the default experience
* How politics is often used as a shield to deflect from critical examination of media and fandom
* The privilege of being able to treat things as though they are _not_ political
And more! All in under thirty minutes.
## Episode Outline
**Topics:** Be critical of the media you consume; media is political (yes even feel-good media); Doctor Who is designed to be changed (and woman doctor is not political); violence is normalized in media; Undertale is great; Politics does not mean political party; politics as systems; politics via omission; systems determine behaviours and outcomes
## Where can I get updates?
If you want to follow us on social media, we’ve got you covered:
* Facebook: [facebook.com/fanthropological](https://facebook.com/fanthropological)
* Twitter: [@fanthropologic](https://twitter.com/fanthropologic)
And of course, we can be found where all fine podcasts are found (e.g. [Spotify](https://open.spotify.com/show/2IVp8MBIUyCqlKyZn79iHn), [Apple Podcasts](https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210?mt=2), [Google Podcasts](https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLnBvZGlhbnQuY28vZmFudGhyb3BvbG9naWNhbC9yc3MueG1s)).
Oh, and here at [fanthropological.com](https://fanthropological.com)
## What is Fanthropological?
Every week, our podcast, Fanthropological, delivers about an hour of fandom-related "fanalysis" covering a different fandom every week and giving you hard data, history, special guests, and, of course, speculation!
We cover topics spanning the gamut of anime, manga, comics, video games, comics, movies, books, television, and, in general, geek culture.
## Who are you?
We are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek … who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick.
We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom. We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans.
If you want to learn more about us, you can follow us on most social media @thenickscast ([Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast), [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast), [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)), see all of our projects on [thenickscast.com](https://thenickscast.com), or [email us](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
* [Calamitous Judgment](https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01219) by [zircon](https://ocremix.org/artist/4628/zircon) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* All other music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
Brought to you by The Nickscast of Fanthropological