#34 - James Bond Fans
What makes 007 oh-so-beloved by fans? On this week's episode, the Nickscast (and special guest friend, Tom) talk about why it is that folks are such a fan of the intruiging English spy, James Bond!
Next week, we'll be dipping our toes into the Whedonverse as we talk about fans of *Firefly*: Browncoats!
## Episode outline
### [Last Episode's](http://fanthropological.com/e/33-cinephiles-ft-efg-nick/) Famous Last Words
**G:** Are there people who are only interested in the books, and if so, why? What's the Tom Bombadil of James Bond films? How faithful are the movies to the books?
**Z:** The iconic scene of James Bond being strapped down to a lazer. Is that lifted from the books, or movie original?
**T:** How important is universal love of the movies? Can you love just a movie? Just one bond?
**EFG Nick:** Why is Hank Scorpio the greatest bond villain of all time?
### Fandom Facts
James Bond is a fictional British Secret Service agent, created by Sir Ian Flemming in 1953. Flemming wrote Bond into twelve novels and two short story collections.
Though Flemming passed away in 1964, Bond has only become more popular, starring in twenty-four films, and eight other authors officially continuing his adventures.
The first EON Productions James Bond movie, *Dr. No*, was release in 1962.
There are two non-canonical movies: *Casino Royale* (a 1967 spoof) and *Never Say Never Again* (a 1983 remake of an earlier Eon-produced film, *Thunderball*).
The first fan club was founded in 1972 by two high school students from Yonkers, NY. In 1974, they started publishing a magazine, *Bondage Quarterly*, however, it and most (if not all) other James Bond zines published no fan-fiction.
**Changes in Fandom:**
In general, trending downward worldwide, though there are peaks around when the movies were released based on [Google Trends data since 2004](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=james%20bond,007). It hasn't been a huge drop though, perhaps about 20%. The data is based on when it was most popular in search traffic so hard to say.
The Connery-through-Brosnan universe is often called "Classic Bond" or "Classicverse". The reboot starring Daniel Craig is thus far called the "Craigverse", though once Craig is replaced a new name will probably emerge.
Indiana Jones and Jason Bourne (based on Facebook data, via [Hollywood.com](http://www.hollywood.com/movies/skyfall-box-office-bonanza-57242023/))
In a survey of US James Bond fans by [YouGov](https://today.yougov.com/news/2012/11/15/he-last-played-james-bond-1983-americans-say-sean-/)...
- Across all groups, Sean Connery is the preferred bond (52%); Daniel Craig (16%), Pierce Brosnan (13%), Roger Moore (10%), Don't Know (7%)
- In the 30-44 Age group, Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore run a close second
- Daniel Craig gets the most support from folks under 30
- 6 in 10 Americans claim to be James Bond fans (1 in 5 claim to be "big fans")
- Bond fandom does not appear to be indicative of any particular gender, age, or political leaning
> Smirnoff vodka, which had been featured in Bond films since Dr. No, was replaced with Finlandia vodka in Die Another Day. A Smirnoff representative said that the company had lost interest in the Bond audience, whose major demographic they saw as men aged 25 to 45, and that it was seeking younger, more social customers aged 21 to 29.
> — [Wikipedia - James Bond Fandom](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_fandom)
Looking at Fanfiction.net, there are only 12 fanfics specifically for the James Bond movies, but well over 2000 results featuring the term "James Bond". Archive of our Own has over 8000 fanfics for Bond fandom, most focussed on the movies (97%), and most focussed on the Daniel Craig movies (91%).
### Are you in, or out?
**G is in.**
- But will probably stay at his current level of involvement, and see the next movie when it comes out.
**Z is out.**
**T is out.**
**Tom is in, and will always be in.**
### This week's spotlight
**[The Race Against Time](http://raceagainsttime.io)**
Now in its third year of running, the Race Against Time is the Nickscast's annual charity livestream where we work our way though Chrono Trigger, obtaining all its endings, and also raising money for the Alzheimer Society of Canada. Last year we raised over $1200 CAD, and have plans to surpass that!
This year, the event will be held August 12 through to August 13, starting at 10am ET. You can also subscribe on [Twitch.tv/theraceagainsttime](https://www.twitch.tv/theraceagainsttime) in anticipation of the event!
### Famous Last Words
This week's famous last words around *next week's* fandom, *Browncoats*!
Why do people care about this show? I guess Nathan Fillion is cool. It was only on for a season ... Why do people care so much about it? Get over it!
What is the place of duelling in the world of firefly? How common is it?
Is it really that good?
Where's the second season? Why hasn't it been kickstarted?
## Where can you find us online?
We are everywhere! Most notably though, we like to hang out in a few places on social media:
- If you want to help us to create more amazing fannish content, become a patron on [Patreon](http://patreon.com/thenickscast); even as little as a dollar a month pledge really helps us out!
- For all the latest updates, check us out on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast)
- To see the latest hijinx from our conventions or even our daily lives and adventures, check us out on [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)
- For our latest convention updates, *Let's Plays*, and other in-real-life video, [check out our YouTube channel](http://youtube.com/thenickscast)
- We're also on [iTunes](https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210), and [Google Play](https://play.google.com/music/m/Icmngxz7yhaoivdvivvf6q6c2pu?t=Fanthropological), and would love it if you could leave a review and rating!
- if you want to reach us, and for some reason none of those work for you, try [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)
- You can check out [our website](http://thenickscast.com); that will mostly bring you back to this stuff.
- Everything is `thenickscast`, so if you can't find us, go on your social network and search for that!
- ... You're still looking for ways to reach out? You can also use the hashtag `#fanthro` on Twitter!
## What is "Fanthropological"?
How did you read this far without asking this question?!
Fanthropological is an anthropological (ish) podcast where we bring the fan's-eye view to you! Each week, we take a look at a different fandom, dig up interesting background, trivia, and history, and try to get to why it is that people are a fan. We also try to highlight good causes related to that fandom, and find interesting things that fans have created to share those to the world. Each episode is about an hour. Ish.
## Who is "The Nickscast"?
*We* are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek ... who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick. Yes, we are super creative. Dare we say, the most creative.
We are Nick Green, Nick Terwoord, and Nick Zacharewicz: We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom, and all that is shiny and interesting in that realm. It's what lead us to start our first podcast, our satellite podcasts, Fanthropological, and so much more.
We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans: We dream of a world where other fans aren't "those Weird-o's", but just folks with different tastes. A world where fandom is full of discourse and analysis, and there are plenty of tools and resources to help. Fans building communities to do good in the world. *Because everyone's a fan.*
- [Den of Geek - James Bond: Why I Love the Films, But Hate 007](http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/james-bond/250349/james-bond-why-i-love-the-films-but-hate-007)
- [Wikipedia - James Bond](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond)
- [Fanlore - James Bond](https://fanlore.org/wiki/James_Bond)
- [Wikipedia - James Bond Fandom](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_fandom)
- [Hollywood.com - ‘Skyfall’ Box Office Bonanza!](http://www.hollywood.com/movies/skyfall-box-office-bonanza-57242023/)
- [Wikipedia - Shaken, Not Stirred](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken,_not_stirred)
- [Wikipedia - Goldfinger (Film)](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfinger_(film))
- [Filmsite.org - 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time](http://www.filmsite.org/100characters4.html)
- [Empire - The Greatest Movie Characters of All Time](http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/100-greatest-movie-characters/)
- [Reddit - What Quality of James Bond Do You Wish You Had the Most?](https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/3dgh9k/what_quality_of_james_bond_do_you_wish_you_had/)
- [Reddit - Time for Bond to Die...](https://www.reddit.com/r/007/comments/3q14tq/time_for_bond_to_die/)
- [M16 Community - Home](https://www.mi6community.com/)
- [Reddit - Could the Current Film Continuity Adopt the Code Name Theory as Canon for Future Installments?](https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/5gy8ii/could_the_current_film_continuity_adopt_the_code/)
- [Reddit - It's Been About 24 Hours since my James Bond Survey and I Have Received 160+ Responses](https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/375soq/its_been_about_24_hours_since_my_james_bond/)
- [Reddit - James Bond and Castlevania Continuity](https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/6fwk59/james_bond_continuity_and_castlevania_continuity/)
- [Reddit - Bond Film Continuity?](https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/2yq5yf/bond_film_continuity/)
- [Den of Geek! - James Bond and the Legacy of Goldfinger](http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/james-bond/243976/james-bond-007-and-the-legacy-of-goldfinger)
### Music / Sound
- All music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
- [Glasses](https://thenounproject.com/term/glasses/132894) by [Anton Anuchin](https://thenounproject.com/antonwebium) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
- [Aperture](https://thenounproject.com/term/aperture/29761) by [Mourad Mokrane](https://thenounproject.com/molumen) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
- [User](https://thenounproject.com/term/user/85533) by [Miguel C Balandrano](https://thenounproject.com/acider) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
Brought to you by The Nickscast of Fanthropological