#33 - Cinephiles (ft. EFG Nick)
The Nickscast talks all things film, film fandom, cinema... you name it as they try to figure out the allure of the silver screen when they talk about Cinephiles! They are not alone in their efforts; this week, Epic Film Guys Nick joins the fray and drops some knowledge bombs about cinema!
Next week, we'll be talking about that double-oh-so-secret agent, James Bond, and his many adoring fans!
## Where can I learn more about EFG Nick?
Epic Film Guy Nick lives in upstate NY and graduated from Clarion University of PA in 2010 with a degree in English (writing). While in college he studied film as part of a film studies minor and made a couple short films. He handles the sound production and editing of the show ([Epic Film Guys](http://www.epicfilmguys.com/)) as well as its release and manages the twitter account [@EpicFilmGuys](http://twitter.com/EpicFilmGuys).
You can learn more about the Epic Film Guys by visiting http://epicfilmguys.wordpress.com/about-us/
You can also find them elsewhere on the internet!
- Website: [Epic Film Guys](http://www.epicfilmguys.com/)
- Twitter: [@EpicFilmGuys](http://twitter.com/epicfilmguys)
- Facebook: [@EpicFilmGuys](http://facebook.com/epicfilmguys)
- iTunes: [Epic Film Guys Podcast](https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/epic-film-guys-podcast/id1027239734)
## Episode outline
### [Last Episode's](http://fanthropological.com/e/32-bollywood-fans/) Famous Last Words
**Z:** Is there a movie marathon, cited as a cinephile’s paradise, where people are encouraged to bring in multiple-course meals?
**G:** Is it important for cinephiles to see movies in the theatre?
**T:** Are cinephiles really a fandom? Isn’t that just a pretentious title for people who watch movies? Where is the culture? The shared experience and unique terminology?
### Fandom Facts
**Size of Fandom:**
Based on data from [*Telefilm*](https://telefilm.ca/wp-content/uploads/canada-moviegoing-statistics-june-2015.pdf) In Canada alone, there are over 20.3 million moviegoers. Roughly two-thirds of the Canadian population goes out to see movies, and on average sees 5.1 movies in a year.
Within this group of moviegoers, there is a group of heavy moviegoers. This group consists of 25% of all moviegoers, sees 10 or more movies per year, and makes up the majority (60%) of all ticket purchases.
**Fan demographics and preferences:**
Again, based on the [same source](https://telefilm.ca/wp-content/uploads/canada-moviegoing-statistics-june-2015.pdf), there are slightly different demographics depending on which set of moviegoers are being referred to.
Looking at all moviegoers, they are split about 51% male, 49% female, and compared to the general population, are much more likely to be under the age of 44. In particular, a lot of moviegoers are between the ages of 13 and 24 compared to the general population. 16% tend to see a movie during the opening weekend, and 25% during the opening week.
Compared to non-movie goers
- They are more likely to use social media (74%)
- They are more likely to watch streaming TV (61%)
- They are more likely to play video games (48%)
- They are less likely to read a print newspaper (15%)
In general, moviegoers consume a lot of media.
When asked about why moviegoers *do not* go to see a movie, the biggest reason cited was cost. In terms of theatre preferences, seating, showtimes, and theatre quality are the most important factors.
Looking specifically at this group, the split becomes 53% male, and 47% female, and are way more likely to be between the ages of 25 and 34. 27% of this group sees the movie on opening weekend, and 35% during the opening week.
> Among the top five grossing films in 2015, Jurassic World, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Furious 7 attracted majority male audiences, while Inside Out was the only top five film with a majority female audience, with 54% of box office revenue coming from women. Furious 7 drew the most ethnically diverse audience, followed by Jurassic World.
> — [MPAA - Theatrical Market Statistics](http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf)
**Changes in Fandom:**
There are many signs that the fandom is growing. Global box office sales were up 5% in 2015 (up 18% since 2011), and the number of cinema screens worldwide has increased 8% since 2015 (due in large part to gains in the Asia-Pacific region, which have grown 19%).
### Are you in, or out?
**Z is in.**
**G is in.**
**EFG is in.**
**T is out.**
### This week's spotlight
**[M. Night School](http://mnightschool.org/)**
> Certainly, there must be 150, 000 of us film lovers out there who are tired of his schlocky plot twists, canned dialogue, and over commercialized image as an "auteur."
A bit of a joke answer, but it is a group dedicated to sending M. Night Shyamalan back to film school. The group has raised over $700 USD to date, and was hoping to raise $150 000 USD. Had they succeeded and M. Night refused, the money would have been donated to creating a scholarship.
Frameline is an international LGBTQ film festival that also hosts events, screens films, and creates LGBTQ youth programming year round.
> The Frameline Completion Fund provides grants to emerging and established filmmakers. This program seeks to provide a much-needed source of financial contributions to artists who often struggle to secure funding to complete their works. Grants up to $5,000 are available for the completion of films that represent and reflect LGBTQ life in all its complexity and richness.
> For over a quarter century, Frameline has provided more than 140 grants to help ensure that LGBTQ films are completed and viewed by wider audiences.
> — [Frameline Completion Fund](https://www.frameline.org/year-round/filmmaker-support/completion-fund)
**[The Race Against Time](http://raceagainsttime.io)**
Now in its third year of running, the Race Against Time is the Nickscast's annual charity livestream where we work our way though Chrono Trigger, obtaining all its endings, and also raising money for the Alzheimer Society of Canada. Last year we raised over $1200 CAD, and have plans to surpass that!
This year, the event will be held August 12 through to August 13, starting at 10am ET. You can also subscribe on [Twitch.tv/theraceagainsttime](https://www.twitch.tv/theraceagainsttime) in anticipation of the event!
### Famous Last Words
This week's famous last words around *next week's* fandom, James Bond!
Are there people who are only interested in the books, and if so, why? What's the *Tom Bombadil* of James Bond films? How faithful are the movies to the books?
The iconic scene of James Bond being strapped down to a laser... Is that lifted from the books, or original to the movies?
How important is universal love of the movies? Can you love just one movie? Just one bond?
Why is Hank Scorpio the greatest bond villain of all time?
## Where can you find us online?
We are everywhere! Most notably though, we like to hang out in a few places on social media:
- If you want to help us to create more amazing fannish content, become a patron on [Patreon](http://patreon.com/thenickscast); even as little as a dollar a month pledge really helps us out!
- For all the latest updates, check us out on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast)
- To see the latest hijinx from our conventions or even our daily lives and adventures, check us out on [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)
- For our latest convention updates, *Let's Plays*, and other in-real-life video, [check out our YouTube channel](http://youtube.com/thenickscast)
- We're also on [iTunes](https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210), and [Google Play](https://play.google.com/music/m/Icmngxz7yhaoivdvivvf6q6c2pu?t=Fanthropological), and would love it if you could leave a review and rating!
- if you want to reach us, and for some reason none of those work for you, try [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)
- You can check out [our website](http://thenickscast.com); that will mostly bring you back to this stuff.
- Everything is `thenickscast`, so if you can't find us, go on your social network and search for that!
- ... You're still looking for ways to reach out? You can also use the hashtag `#fanthro` on Twitter!
## What is "Fanthropological"?
How did you read this far without asking this question?!
Fanthropological is an anthropological (ish) podcast where we bring the fan's-eye view to you! Each week, we take a look at a different fandom, dig up interesting background, trivia, and history, and try to get to why it is that people are a fan. We also try to highlight good causes related to that fandom, and find interesting things that fans have created to share those to the world. Each episode is about an hour. Ish.
## Who is "The Nickscast"?
*We* are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek ... who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick. Yes, we are super creative. Dare we say, the most creative.
We are Nick Green, Nick Terwoord, and Nick Zacharewicz: We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom, and all that is shiny and interesting in that realm. It's what lead us to start our first podcast, our satellite podcasts, Fanthropological, and so much more.
We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans: We dream of a world where other fans aren't "those Weird-o's", but just folks with different tastes. A world where fandom is full of discourse and analysis, and there are plenty of tools and resources to help. Fans building communities to do good in the world. *Because everyone's a fan.*
Special thanks this week go out to [Epic Film Guy Nick](http://www.epicfilmguys.com/) for once again joining us and sharing his love and knowledge of films and cinema fandom!
- [New Republic - Has Hollywood Murdered the Movies?](https://newrepublic.com/article/107212/has-hollywood-murdered-the-movies)
- [Open Roof Festival - Festival Information](http://www.openrooffestival.com/festival-information/)
- [The Food Film Fest - The Festival](http://thefoodfilmfestival.com/the-festival/)
- [Slow Food Youth Network - The Rise of Amsterdam's Food Film Festival](http://www.slowfoodyouthnetwork.org/blog/the-rise-of-amsterdams-food-film-festival/#.WR-VUOFid0s)
- [Real Food Films - Pop-Up Film Fests](http://realfoodfilms.org/pop-up-film-festivals/)
- [WikiHow - How to Be a Cinephile](http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Cinephile)
- [Reddit - Fellow Film Geeks, When Did You “Come of Age” as Film Lovers and What Is Your Watching Process](https://www.reddit.com/r/Cinephiles/comments/4db456/fellow_film_geeks_when_did_you_come_of_age_as/)
- [Reddit - How Do I Become a Cinephile? Are There Any Particular DVD Collections that I can Begin With?](https://www.reddit.com/r/Cinephiles/comments/34x6s8/how_do_i_become_a_cinephile_are_there_any/)
- [Wikipedia - Cinephilia](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinephilia)
- [MUBI - What is MUBI](https://mubi.com/about)
- [The Afternoon Despatch & Courier - Creating a Social Community of Cinephiles](http://www.afternoondc.in/business/creating-a-social-community-of-cinephiles/article_183773)
- [MetaFilter - What are The Best Ways for a Cinephile Like Me to Find Community of Those Similarly Interested in Film?](http://ask.metafilter.com/216106/What-are-the-best-ways-for-a-cinephile-like-me-to-find-communities-of-those-similarly-interested-in-film)
- [Telefilm Canada - Canadian Moviegoing Statistics](https://telefilm.ca/wp-content/uploads/canada-moviegoing-statistics-june-2015.pdf)
- [MPAA - Theatrical Market Statistics](http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf)
- [The Harris Poll - The Silver Screen Slump: Americans Say They’re Going to the Movies Less Often](http://www.theharrispoll.com/health-and-life/The_Silver_Screen_Slump__Americans_Say_They_re_Going_to_the_Movies_Less_Often.html)
- [Quora - Why do people watch movies? What meaning does it add to people's lives?](https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-watch-movies-What-meaning-does-it-add-to-peoples-lives)
- [Today - Your brain on movies: Why films make us cry, flinch and cheer](http://www.today.com/health/your-brain-movies-why-films-make-us-cry-flinch-cheer-1D80258284)
- [The Guardian - 10 reasons why today's TV is better than movies](https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/oct/23/10-reasons-tv-better-movies)
- [Relevant - Why Do We Watch Movies?](http://archives.relevantmagazine.com/culture/film/why-do-we-watch-movies)
- [Wired - Hollywood is not OK with you watching new movies at home](https://www.wired.com/2016/03/hollywood-not-ok-watching-new-movies-home/)
- [No Film School - What Kind of Cinephile Are You? Let Pretentious-O-Meter Gauge Your Taste in Films](http://nofilmschool.com/2015/05/what-kind-cinephile-pretentious-o-meter-gauge-taste-films)
### Music / Sound
- All music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
- [Glasses](https://thenounproject.com/term/glasses/132894) by [Anton Anuchin](https://thenounproject.com/antonwebium) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
- [Projector](https://thenounproject.com/term/projector/919393) by [Federico Panzano](https://thenounproject.com/panzano) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
[// Z's sources: (.*)(?:\.|\?|\)|\:|\!) (http.*) (http.*) ]: #
[// G's sources: From <(http.*)> ]: #
Brought to you by The Nickscast of Fanthropological